Friday, October 8, 2010

on "decasia"

I found Bill Morrison's "Decasia" to be a hauntingly beautiful film that left me contemplative and slightly disturbed. Watching it was like watching something die- something that was once thriving and full of life, but had become old and crippled with decay. The effect of watching it was, needless to say, an unpleasant one, due to the powerfully negative emotion that it emanated. It was horrifying, saddening, and it felt as if one should not be watching- but you can't tear your eyes from the screen. Decasia was not only haunting visually, but aurally as well- the music throughout was a convoluted mess of beautiful compositions and the screams of dying souls. When the music combines with the film, the two mold together and morph into a dynamic work that both disturbs the soul and captivates it.  Watching it was an experience that I'm glad I had, but one that I'd never want to have again.

No comments:

Post a Comment